Rentec Direct

Take a look at what we’re currently working on at Rentec. Please share your ideas and stories to help us build a product that best fits your needs.

How can we make the Rentec Direct property management software and tenant screening platform better?

1. Filter by unit name on tenant tab

I want to be able to filter by unit name on the tenant tab. When a tenant calls, if you don't know the exact spelling of their name, it would be great to be able to search by the unit name to locate their file, rather than having to start of the properties tab, get the main tenant name, then go back to the tenant tab, locate the main tenant and see if they are listed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google Rentec Direct
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Product Improvement  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Prospective owner tracking

Prospect tracking - have the ability to input owner prospects and all their and the property information, with the ability to convert to a current client if/when they become one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Recording Security Deposits received

We need a "transfer" option added to the tenant screen so that we can transfer security deposits to another bank account. Currently, it only gives us the option to add an "expense" to the tenant ledger. The only other option is to do the security deposit transaction in the checkbook ledger, completely separate from the tenant ledger, using only the "On Deposit" tab to keep track of it.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Indicate on deposits made to my bank from rental payments, which tenant the payment came from

Currently, my bank account shows rent deposits as "Forte". In order to reconcile my books each month, my bookkeeper needs to know which deposits came from which tenants. Can you do something, so the deposit indicates which tenant the money is from?

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Product Improvement  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stop late charges

I stop late charges after the tenant has at least paid their rent, the program continues to charge late charges as long as there is an amount due. i have to physically delete the excess late charges. I would recommend changing the software to not incur any more late charges after one has been deleted until the next month rental cycle.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Rent Roll (enhanced) date range request

Offer a date range option to compare Market Rent with Actual rent. This comparison is currently only available in Rent Roll (enhanced) as a snapshot.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Product Improvement  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Tenant report showing total rent paid for past yeaar

I would like the ability to to run an end of year report for each tenant showing amounts they have paid for rent. I have many tenants that need this for a tax credit. Currently I can run a statement but it doesn't show the total amount of received for rent. Also this report ideally would show how much received from Government assistance and tenant totals.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Report Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow Move in fees rather than deposits

Allow additional fees on move in screen, Pet fee, move in fee. We don't do a deposit we do non refundable move in fee that we have to manually enter.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Product Improvement  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow for new default rent category, or for it to b e renamed.

Change the name of the Rental Income (default). For 2 reasons 1) I don't want the tenant to see it called "Income" because it is an expense to them and subconsciously I don't want them to think this is directly "income" for the owner, some tenants get resentful of the landlords, thinking thy are all greedy. 2) this name is directly tied to a Quickbooks chart of accounts, and this is NOT what it is called there. Particularly because in Quickbooks you can have nested accounts, my income account in Quickbooks is called Resident Charges -> Rent. In Rentech, this…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Customize Work Orders

The ability to customize work orders. This would allow us to add fields such as "Material cost: $____" for field agents to fill in if they have to purchase extra things for a repair (Ex: a screen door, paint, etc.). Another example field would be a "Labor Hours:____" field as well as a signature field.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. incoming text notification

Provide text or email notification to admin when a text message has been received. Currently, the message could sit unanswered because admin does not know it is there.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Customize the income/expense Report

income expense statement reports

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Report Request  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow owners to pay property managers for outstanding property balances

Enable the option for OWNERS to pay PROPERTY MANAGERS for invoices on their properties directly through RentecDirect (AppFolio has this option)

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. splitting a transaction breaks link to attachment

splitting a transaction breaks link to attachment. you then have to reattach the file again. if you can find it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Application Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Tie management fee amount to income category

Allow different management fee for different income categories. Example: Rental Income is 8, 9 or 10%. But Late Fee Income is split 50/50 with the owner. Having this set by category would save time. Thanks!

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow managers to keep application/convenience fees without manually adjusting or allow us to post the expense for those items to properties

As managers we are automatically charged the cost of background/credit checks and credit card convenience fees and if we don't manually enter a charge on the property ledger or delete the income we face the risk of paying all of the fee's without getting any of the income or even deducting the cost to generate those fees. I see no reason for this much exposure to human error. Let us choose to keep those fees or to at least charge the cost of generating them back to the property.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Notification of Automatic Rent Escalation

Option to automatically notify tenants "X" days before an increase goes into effect, if utilizing automatic rent escalation.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Print Owner Account Info on Deposit Slip

Provide Associated Account name on Deposit Slip - Today when I print a deposit slip it prints my Contact Info in the upper left portion of the deposit rather the account's owner information. I request that when I make a deposit to an account (similar to printing a check), it uses the associated account owner's information on the deposit slip. I make deposits into 20 accounts every month and have to change my contact info before printing a deposit slip. Very time consuming. Thanks, Jeff

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Print Account Owner Info on Deposit Slip

Provide Associated Account name on Deposit Slip - Today when I print a deposit slip it prints my Contact Info in the upper left portion of the deposit rather the account's owner information. I request that when I make a deposit to an account (similar to printing a check), it uses the associated account owner's information on the deposit slip. I make deposits into 20 accounts every month and have to change my contact info before printing a deposit slip. Very time consuming. Thanks, Jeff

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Budgeting tool

Budgeting tool: within overall income field, be able to sub categorize funds allocated for specific purposes (repairs, security deposits, capital expense, etc)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base