Here is some possible reasons on why:
- Incorrect social security number. Confirm that the applicants information matches the social security number. If you notice in the credit report detail section the words "no hit". It is a good indicator that you have entered in the social security wrong or your applicant gave you false information.
- The applicant could be young or just obtained recent US Citizenship and does not have active credit such as a student loan, auto loan, mortgage or credit cards
- The applicant has lived their life paying cash for everything and has never used the credit system (no loans, no credit cards)
- The applicant might have had previous loans and debts but has either closed all of his/her accounts and does not posses enough open accounts to generate a score
- The applicant had loans and debt but filed for bankruptcy on all of the accounts and the accounts were closed due to the bankruptcy filing and never acquired any new recent credit (The bankruptcy would reflect in Public Records for a minimum of 7 years)
- The applicant had previous loans and debt but now all the accounts are in collections.