Option 1 - Group Together
Adding roommates (or secondary tenants) that are all responsible for the same bill, is easy within Rentec. Just follow these steps:
- Move in the primary renter (the group leader) to a vacant property. The group leader can also be an assumed name for the group if you wish rather than an actual person's name (such as: Crazy College Party Gang). All settings used for the move-in details (rent, late fees, etc) will apply to all grouped tenants.
- Add additional tenants to the group. You can do this either of two ways:
- If the additional tenant is not currently in the system, navigate to the property in the properties tab and select 'Place New Tenant'. Select 'Option 1 - Group Together' at the next screen. Enter the new tenant's information and choose 'Add Tenant'.
- If the additional tenant already exists, find them in the tenants tab. Right-click on the tenant and choose 'Add To Group'. Choose the group leader (setup in step 1), then select 'Connect Tenant'. (A tenant must be inactive in order to be added to a group. If they are currently moved into a property, you must move them out first to make them inactive, then add them to the group.)
- Repeat step 2 as many times as necessary until all sub-tenants have been added.
All accounting operations (payments, charges,deposits, etc) will apply to the group leader's ledger. All subtenants will not have a ledger. If it is important to you to know which tenant in particular a charge is for or a payment was received from, be sure to label that in the memo field when entering the transaction.
EasyPay (ACH) is compatible with this function. You can setup EasyPay for each subtenant, and their transactions will post as credits to the group leader's ledger. EasyPay credits will be tagged with the subtenant's name.
Email addresses can be entered for secondary tenants that are grouped under the primary tenant. This allows you to email the secondary tenant directly, however only the primary tenant will receive automated emails sent by the system.
Option 2 - Keep Separate
Choosing this option if the new tenant is not to be grouped with the primary renter(tenant).
Keywords: subtenant, sub-tenant, other tenants, co-renter, co renter