I suggest you ...

Allow creation of a report for "not in any category/property"

There is no good way to find all transactions that have "None" for the category, property, tenant or bank. Sometimes "None" makes perfect sense but sometimes it is a typo when entering a transaction. Especially for category and property - having "None" here is often a mistake.

The "Category Ledger" report should allow selecting "None" for the category to assist in finding these.

The Expense, Income, and Exp/Inc reports should list income and expense items that don't have a category. Same thing with the Operating Statement reports.

Not quite as important but still useful would be to allow selecting "None" for the property when creating financial reports in order to see those transactions that are not assigned to a property.

24 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Rentec Direct
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
McMinn, Sandra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google Rentec Direct
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • McMinn, Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the suggestion titled "Search or report uncategorized and unlinked transactions," Nathan's closing remarks included:

"It is also no longer possible to have unlinked transactions within the system as the transaction screens disallow creating or editing a transaction to a point where it is not linked with a property, tenant or account"

What Nathan says is true - I can't figure out how to create a transaction that is not linked to at least one of the above. However, it is still quite possible (on purpose or by accident) to create a transaction that is not linked with a property. Such transactions won't get flagged in a reconcile because they're properly tied to an account. However, when tax time comes and you have to do the basic "cash in bank at year start + income - expenses = cash in bank at year end" computation, these transactions are very difficult to find because income and expenses are reported by property and these transactions are not assigned to a property.

This is a major problem for me because I need to figure out why my books don't balance (even though my accounts all reconcile) before I can file taxes this year. :-(

• McMinn, Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the ability to find "Uncategorized" transactions is a good start but there is still a need for a more complete solution to find transactions not tied to a property or a tenant.

Also, the report for "Uncategorized" items is very noisy because transfers are listed as not being in a category. Transfers aren't usually interesting sources of error since both the origin and destination of the funds is stuff we know about. Having a separate category for "Transfer" would allow us to remove these from the "Uncategorized" report.

• Mitchell, Ashleigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important for items that are not booked to a tenant as these none transaction look appropriate on all summary financial reports, but at the tenant ledger level, the tenant is not getting credit. Need some sort of a reconcile option here to find items. This is also very easy to have happen when you credit a tenants account with their deposit at move out. It took us a long time to find out that when you credit a tenant's account with their deposit it does not auto log to the property and we did not see this on our financials.

Feedback and Knowledge Base