I suggest you ...

allow tenant portal access for grouped tenants co-renters

when tenants are grouped together on a property, there isn't an option to setup a tenant portal, like there is on individual tenants.

If tenants that share a property are kept separate, then a portal is available ... however, this option does not work for me because I do not know how much of the rent each tenant is paying each month.

38 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Caribou Management shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Blackmon, Tracey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE ADD THIS!!I have a few tenants that pay half of the rent then the co renter pays half of the rent. they should be able to have access to the tenant portal to be sure the other person had paid and to report any maintenance issues.

• Holden, John commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Added my votes to this. We have college properties where there are multiple tenants each with an individual email. All are individually responsible for the full rent but in practice the tenants divide up total rent sometimes equally and sometimes differently pending rooms sizes, added options etc. It is important for each tenant to receive notifications of payment, amounts due, late charges etc. and have visibility to the lease account ledger in order for the group to self manage their responsibility. Additionally each tenant in order to self manage and approve ACH transactions need access to their individual tenant portal. Currently only the leader has access to the portal which provides self management of ACH setup. The option 2 add tenant feature would work if it was possible to set the tenant up with full lease amount responsibility versus an individual amount.

• McMinn, Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have created a new suggestion titled "Include all co-renters for e-mails, workorders and viewing charges and payments" to consolidate this suggestion with 3 others that are similar. If you think this suggestion is useful to you, please search for the other one and vote for it instead.

• Sarah Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have used this feature with another program and it was great! Tenants appreciate having their own portal to view payments, etc and making repair requests so they do not have to rely on their roommate to go in and make a request.

• properties, whg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be helpful, not just for email and rent notifications, but also to print multiple names/numbers on service orders so that maintenance can contact tenants if needed.

• McMinn, Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Kevin's comment of March 20...

If I make each tenant a separate tenant, then I have to split the rent and attribute part of the rent to each tenant. In a roommate situation, this creates the appearance that each tenant has a separate lease agreement when in fact there is only one lease agreement. If one tenant of a roommate group stops paying their "share," my lease only allows me to evict them as a group. If each roommie has a separate "account," our local tenant's-rights lawyers would use that fact to make it impossible to evict.

So I must use a consolidated account for everyone. The most important feature for me is e-mail. When I auto-email a late notice, I need for it to go to everyone on the lease, not just to the group leader.

• AdminKevin (Client Success Team, Rentec Direct) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this request is being considered....

I just wanted to mention that all of these requests can be accomplished by adding the co-renters to the property and keeping them separate rather than grouping them together.

Instructions on how to add multiple tenants to a unit and keep them separate can be found here:

http://support.rentecdirect.com/knowledgebase/articles/194536-how-to-add-roommates-and-or-secondary-tenants

All tenants in a group could also gain individual access to the portal by simply sharing the login.

• Price, Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important not only for access to the rent ledger, but also for ability to report damages etc. Please add this functionality!

• Caribou Management commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tenant Portals for co-renters would be extremely valuable so they have access to the rental ledger and the ability to pay online through their portal.

• Lumry, Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I have more than one individual sign a lease, each needs to have access to the tenant portal.

• Sponaugle, Cydney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently, subtenants can be added and EasyPay can be enabled, however the subtenant does not have access to a tenant portal to view the unit's ledger or to toggle their EasyPay.

• Price, Erin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently in order for co-renters to have access to http://www.rentecdirect.com/tenants, I have to create the tenant first, set up their information, and add them to the group, rather than creating a tenant by clicking "Place New Tenant" and adding their email. I should be able to update a tenant's tenant portal access regardless of which creation method I use and the co-renter(s) should be able to see the charges and payments listed for their unit on the main tenant account.

Feedback and Knowledge Base