I suggest you ...

Easy Pay-Checking/Savings Account Option for Setup

For Easy Pay> Need a Checking/Savings account option when setting up tenants for ACH Some banks require the information they received have this information

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • sso
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminKathryn (Admin, Rentec Direct) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • sso
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wanted to provide a bit more description around this as it is affecting some of our tenants who want to make payments from savings accounts...

We had a new tenant who setup her ACH payments from her Savings Account. Her first attempted payment was rejected with the error of "ACH REJECTED: R04: Invalid Account Number". We initially expected she had entered invalid numbers. However, we called her bank to verify the numbers. The numbers were correct and the bank verified that they supported ACH from savings accounts as long as the fact that it was a savings account was selected in the ACH request (something I had never heard before).

Rentec Customer Success maintained that it was a problem with the bank, that some banks won't allow drafts from savings accounts. However, this bank had confirmed they would allow drafts from savings accounts. So, I logged into Forte (the account Rentec uses for processing tenant payments) directly to look at the failed transaction. I was able to find the failed transaction and saw that the account type for the tenant's account in this failed transaction was marked as "C" (for checking) - which was wrong in this case, since it was a savings account. So inside of Forte directly, I created a new transaction request exactly as the failed request from Rentec had been created, but for the account "type" in this second request, I selected "Savings" (since Forte does allow setting that "type" field). Sure enough, the transaction was processed successfully - the money has been deposited into our account and the tenant has verified that the rent has been withdrawn from her savings account.

So, I think the issue here is that for tenant ACH payments, the Rentec UI does not allow specifying whether the account is checking or savings. Therefore when Rentec makes the transaction request to the Forte API, it is either specifying "checking" as the account type, or possibly not specifying any type which is then defaulting to "checking" in the Forte transaction. For banks that actually check that the ACH account "type" matches the type (checking or savings) of account being drafted from (some banks may not check it), that discrepancy seems to cause the bank to reject the request.

It may be worth noting that when setting up the ACH account that Rentec customers use to pull subscription payments from, there is an option to select checking vs savings. If we don't want to (or don't have time to) add this checking/savings option for tenant payments and/or owner disbursements, we should probably at least explain to customers why transactions from savings accounts are failing and explain that they can process these failed transactions directly in Forte if they can't get their tenants and owners to setup checking accounts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base