I suggest you ...

automatic text message (sms) notifications in addition to emails

TEXT MSGS: please add the option to have text msg or SMS notification option for auto-notices from program in addition to email reminders.

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminNathan (Engineering Ninja, Rentec Direct) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminNathan (Engineering Ninja, Rentec Direct) responded  · 

To improve the likelihood that we develop this feature, please add detailed comments explaining how you would like to see this feature implemented, and how it would benefit you or your staff. Be sure to vote this feature up if it is important to you.

If you have examples or screenshots to send, please email them to features@rentecdirect.com, and reference this feature request by name.

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: sso facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Lewis, Julian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe as other have stated:
    Emails for more detailed correspondence, allowing 2 way communication

Texts as reminders and notifications,
    so they should always include something like :
    "Notification Only - Do NOT Reply"

• McMinn, Sandra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Almost all mobile phone providers also have a gateway that receives e-mail and relays it out as a text message. For example 5125551212@txt.att.net. You'll have to know which mobile service your tenant uses but that's a small hurdle. This might get you some of the functionality you need today.

• Ward, Drick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I shouldn't need to text my tenants to tell them to pay the rent. They are adults. But it would be nice to be able to batch text all (or picklist) owners to let them know that rents have been processed, their accounting data is updated and they can log into the portal to see their info.

Texting tenants is trickier because when they REPLY TO, where does it go. Would the texts all reside within the RenTec Direct systems? outsourced via a third party like realbird does? set up in RTD to use our existing google text number? send directly to my phone?

Most importantly, never do away with one format (email) thinking everyone will switch to the other. Many comments here say people don't check email, they only text. Yet, last summer Google dropped TEXT reminders on appointments in their calendars because they said everyone gets email on their phones. (They were wrong in their move, some of us use text for short messages that are primarily one way in nature and email for more lengthy or complex messages and attachments. But sadly, they have not reinstituted text reminders in google calendar.)

• Landfried, Allan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Matt, Adrien comments below

"Your rent is due: $XXX"
    "Your rents is past due: $XXX"
    "Your payment of $XXX was received. Thank you!"

• Matt, Adrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that many people do not check their email but receive and read their texts instantly. This would be a great feature to have. Even if the messages generated automatically are short:
    "Your rent is due: $XXX"
    "Your rents is past due: $XXX"
    "Your payment of $XXX was received. Thank you!"

• Aaron, Landlord, Terry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In LIEU of! I think you meant or should mean if we were given an option as a per each units Tenant to select one or the other. Some of us with less than a handful of units can not afford to pay.

I would hope that RenTec could afford to waive the extra cost and still offer both.

• Henry, Ren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MUST have both options. Many younger tenants do not check email often but get SMS instantly.

I think it is important to have both available from within the program. I am not able to offer this as I am always broke. (disabled with fixed income)

• Mostert, Charl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have similar scenario Aaron. My tenants are a mix (Low and Middle income housing). Part of the portfolio is low income bracket housing. These are tenants that only have cell phones. Some dont have access to internet. Thus making sms the only way to communicate with them. This will then also be dependant at what price this service can be be offered as an intergration.

I have some tenants that only correspond via sms. I have sent them NOTICES such as PAY OR QUIT; LEASE TERMINATION; PAST DUE, etc.

It would be nice to have them via RenTec and associated with their accounts.

Terry Aaron

Feedback and Knowledge Base